Our Mission Statement
St. Pius V is a Roman Catholic faith community following the teachings of Jesus Christ.
As a united parish, we celebrate and evangelize our many cultural traditions through liturgy, prayer, and service.
Empowered and challenged by the Holy Spirit, we welcome all in fellowship by sharing our gifts and reflecting God’s love.
Approved by Parish Council March 27, 2001
Buena Park had a population of about 5,000 and, while still largely agricultural, was becoming home to a number of industries when St. Pius V Parish was established in 1948. Fr. Frederick J. Kass was the founding pastor and served until his death in 1969. He oversaw the construction of the original church that was later expanded to accommodate the growing parish. Members of the Altar Society, the Holy Name Society and the Legion of Mary served as the parish grew. Fr. Paul Konoske was pastor for a year and Fr. James Pierse shepherded the parish from 1970 to 1977. It was during this time that the Christian Service Program was founded to help the aged and the sick. Today, Our Happy Hearts ministry continues this service by providing a monthly luncheon preceded by a Mass.
The Irish Augustinian Fathers served the parish from 1977 to 2005 bringing a close contact with the work of their missions in Africa and South America. Bishop Norman McFarland dedicated the new parish church that seats 1,250 on November 6, 1994. The church, new offices and meeting rooms were constructed to serve the growing parish community which now numbers over 5,000 families.
The parish school was constructed in 1959 and staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange and lay faculty. Today, the school staff consists of 18 lay faculty plus instructional aides to accommodate the 557 students in K through 8th grade. The parish Faith Formation Program offers instruction to those children attending other schools.
The faith community of St. Pius V welcome all in fellowship by sharing the many gifts of cultural traditions through liturgy, prayer and service.