|Information and Agreement Form
USCCB Altar Server Guidelines
Guideline Highlights from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB)
- Servers should be mature enough to understand and carry their responsibilities with care and reverence.
- Servers should have received their first holy communion and normally receive the eucharist when they participate in the liturgy.
- Servers responsibilities are
- To carry the cross and the processional candles
- To hold the book for the priest celebrant when he is not at the altar
- To carry the incense and censer
- To present the bread, wine, and water to the priest during the preparation of the gifts or assist him when he receives the gifts from the people
- To wash the hands of the priest
- To assist the priest celebrant and deacon as necessary
- Servers respond to the prayers and dialogues of the priest along with the congregation. They also join in singing the hymns and other chants of the liturgy.
- Servers should be seated in a place from which they can easily assist the priest celebrant and deacon.